Monday, July 4, 2011

My child has manners but not when it comes to his SAFETY!…Kid Safe Foundation

A must read from Kid Safe Foundation. Please take a moment and read this important information for parents and children - great tips and information; you won't regret the five minutes at most, trust me. Continue Reading: http://bit.ly/lKSeKW

Amplify’d from annyjacoby.wordpress.com

My child has manners but not when it comes to his SAFETY!…Kid Safe Foundation

When we were young our parents sent us off to school and camp with statements such as: “Be a good listener.” “Mind your manners.” “Do what your counselor tells you to do.” “A tough teacher is a good teacher.” I can’t even imagine saying blanket statements like this to my 10 year old today. In fact, almost the opposite is said at our house. We want him to be polite but NEVER at the expense of his safety and just because an adult, like a teacher or counselor, tells him to do something, if it makes him uncomfortable or confused… guess what? He doesn’t have to do it! He has the right to say “NO” and he knows it. Blind obedience versus knowing when and how to be assertive is on my mind as my son tells me this experience he had at camp:
My son is at a new camp. The first two days when changing for swim they changed in a huge bathroom that had stalls. My son (as did the other boys) went into their individual stalls and changed. The third day they were brought to a smaller bathroom (no clue why) and there were no stalls. My son said to the counselor, “I want to change in the stall.”
Read more at annyjacoby.wordpress.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment